Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > Black Girl in Paris

Black Girl in Paris by Shay Youngblood

Jul 25, 10

bookshelves: heroine-amazing, favorites, sense-of-place, place-paris
Read in August, 2005

This beautiful book is both a coming-of-age story of Eden, an American woman of color, and an homage to the Paris that Americans flocked to in the '20s and 30s. Eden goes through a series of low paying (and occasionally humiliating) jobs in her search for James Baldwin. Eden reflects on Baldwin's life and his writing as well as her own life as a woman of color in late '80s Paris. Facing violence -- from Parisians, foreign terrorists -- she still finds friends and lovers, and eventually, some of herself. As someone who has always dreamed of escaping to Paris to find myself, living through Eden was an uncomfortable but revealing experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Girl in Paris.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daisy I tried this and, sorry, hated it.

Audra (Unabridged Chick) I saw! I can't believe it -- what did you hate about it? When people I like hate things I love, I always wonder if I read it wrong or something -- my wife pointed out one of the first books I rec'd her was completely different than the book I described it to be! :0o

message 3: by Daisy (last edited Jul 25, 2010 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Daisy I do the same thing, wonder if I made a mistake in my opinion of a book after I read others' reviews. About this, I remember hating the writing. Not the subject matter at all. I thought it was full of clichés. I couldn't finish it.

Audra (Unabridged Chick) I've heard many folks comment on that; I wonder if I found them less cliche-like and more homage-y? (It was, like, five years ago that I read this.) It might have also been that I could relate to the writing in the sense that my attempts at writing might have been as cliche-laden. It might have felt familiar.

Daisy Aww, don't be so hard on yourself.