Benjamin's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Jul 02, 10

bookshelves: unlikely-to-ever-finish, currently-reading
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I have reached the conclusion of the first section of this book, and I find myself disinclined to read any further. It's not that it's bad -- the author seems very intelligent and crafty -- it's just that a) all of the characters we've been introduced to so far have been killed off, and those remaining are either genetically-engineered vampires or featureless ciphers (sorry, Amy); and b) it's really just not my kind of book. I can see why it would be compelling reading for some, as all the elements of, "Gosh, what's gonna happen next?!" are there, but it doesn't strike me as particularly revolutionary, door-busting, or even very thought-provoking reading.

At the moment -- and I fully acknowledge there's lots more book to be read -- it reminds me, favorably, of the following:

BOOKS I'VE READ: The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy, Daemon by Daniel Suarez
BOOKS I HAVEN'T READ: The Stand by Stephen King, The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.

12/28/2009 page 230
29.34% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I felt exactly the same when they got rid of everyone and started over with new characters. I haven't decided to keep reading or give up.

Susan I am not a fan of vampire or horror books. After the first 280 pages or so I had also felt the same as you, and had put the book away. It was disappointing to have characters in whom I had become interested destroyed to no real end. Also, some of the language was grating "the time before", "First night", "dark night". But I've gotten back into it, with about 60 pages to go. The story picks and has very exciting sections. The story does revisit what happens in the "time before." I am somewhat vested in the new characters and hope they are not all destroyed in the next 60 pages.

Todd SPOILER- More than one character besides Amy from the first section of the book make reappearances.

Kimberly Well that makes me a feel a little better in continuing with this book, cause I'm in the same boat with being completely peeved that the author killed off everyone in part 1 and then creates this whole new world & language that reminds me of trying to get into a Lord of the Rings novel. I'll keep trudging along since somehow the second half with tie in with the first half.

Deborah Biancotti Exactly! We lose all the interesting characters (well, apparently, except where a second death a hundred years later is deemed to add some more pathos to the mix) AND Amy really is a featureless cypher. Perfectly put.