Travis Roberson's Reviews > Life, the Universe and Everything

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

2972031
Jan 01, 10

Read in January, 2010

Another installment in the Hitchhiker's "trilogy" down. I'm going to try and keep this one shorter than usual, but I'm not making any promises.

There is one thing that I have noticed with the Hitchhiker's saga. There are two types of people, those who love every single word of it and those who hate it with an undying passion. So far, I am one who loves every single word.

I've read a couple of the reviews for this one and I noticed that quite a number of people have said that this book marks the point where the series begins to lose steam. I can't say I agree with that. I do not believe that this one was as good as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but think about it, those are two hard acts to follow. Those two books were superb in my mind, I gave them both a five star rating. It's hard to top two flawless works.

The story is more outrageous than any of the previous installments and the plot is zanier than ever. For example, sentient mattresses, flying by jumping from a high distance and missing the ground, Bistromath, it is nearly endless. The story seems to shy away a little bit from the theme that the first two books follow with Zaphod and Arthur's destinies, and focuses on Krikkit, a planet whose inhabitants are hellbent on putting an end to the Universe.

When I reached the end of the novel, though, it felt like I was reading something from the first two books all over again, in a good way. When the characters encounter Prak, the story reverted to classic Hitchhiker's. The portion that explored the story of "The Reason" was something I felt that was beautifully written and had a bit of deeper context within it. It felt like a part of Douglas Adams was getting a bit serious for a moment, and that was perfectly fine with me. Then, it kicks right back into the notorious humor that the series is renowned for and makes you laugh out loud again as Arthur struggles to understand a location Prak is trying to describe to him.

The very end of the book made me smile, and while the first two may have been a smidgen better, this one can still hold its own.

Time for So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, the Universe and Everything.

12/31/2009 page 167
73.57% "The chapter on Brockian Ultra-Cricket was hilarious."
12/31/2009 page 186
81.94% "It's taking me longer than usual to read this. Having to balance my time between bike riding, video games, and reading."
show 1 hidden update…