Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones

The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain

Feb 12, 2010

liked it
Read in February, 2010

Bourdain. Cranky, cynical, sexy, sarcastic, lover of pork. I love the way the man uses words, I really do.
The Nasty Bits treats the reader to a delectable collection of Bourdain's non-fiction.

The book is broken down into flavors: Salty, Sweet, Bitter, Sour... each story under those headings manages to leave you with that taste in your mouth. At least, I think that's from the story.
*spits*

No one does bitter and sour better than Bourdain, which is why I love his show. In the "Bitter" part of the book, readers are treated to a rant on Woody Harrelson and the raw food movement. on cooking and chefs being spoiled by celebrity. One of my favorite stories under "Salty" is the story on "The Evildoers" - the fast food industry.

On his show, unless he's in the midst of pork lust, I don't see all that much sweetness. Yet here, under "Sweet", you get a peek into the good in Bourdain's world. I could give a damn about Manhattan, but his passion for the city is indeed sweet, without being saccharine.

There are stories in here that weren't all that great, not his fault at all, but perhaps because of my lack of interest, and his fiction (the "dessert" at the end of the book) does NOTHING for me. Those were the only nasty bits. The rest - scrumptious little morsels.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nasty Bits.

message 1: by David (new)

David Cerruti Bell writes: "I could give a damn about Manhattan, but his passion for the city is indeed sweet, without being saccharine."

If you enjoy great cooking, and your "cookin" shelf hints that you do, then Manhattan is not a bad place to be.

Books Ring Mah Bell I know, David... one of these days I will have to get over my prejudices and GO.