Gretchen's Reviews > The Blind Assassin

961931
Jul 09, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from June 21 to July 09, 2010

I read this book for my book club. I didn't really have any positive or negative feelings about it going in. When I started it, within the first few pages, I was thinking, "Huh, this is kind of weird." I'm not a science fiction fan, so as soon as that part started I was a little put off. But I kept on reading, and I'm glad that I did.

I enjoyed Margaret Atwood's writing style. I thought it was very accessible, but she still writes with enough layers that you can really think about this book if you want to. But if you don't want to, then it's just a good story. I thought the structure of the novel was very interesting. Usually when there are several different stories going on in a novel, I always find myself favoring one over the others. Not so with this book. Each of the four stories were interesting to me... yes, even the science fiction story. Probably the least interesting one was the story of Iris as an old woman. But even that held some interest for me, as I thought it was interesting to see this old woman look back on her life and think about the things she's lost. My favorite part was the story of Iris and her sister Laura growing up in the 1930's and 40's. That was the part that really took off for me. But really, I liked all of the book.

About halfway through I began to feel like the story was not going to end in the expected way, so of course I had to start speculating about what was going to happen. I figured it out, so the twist at the end was not a surprise for me. I didn't feel cheated or anything. I think it was an interesting twist.

Other reviewers on here have commented on how they didn't find Laura or Iris to be particularly likable or sympathetic characters. I guess this is true; they weren't all that likable, but I did find myself feeling sorry for them. They got kind of a bum deal. No wonder they had so many problems. And something about characters not being likable makes them more interesting for me. I don't know. I'm weird that way.

Overall, an enjoyable read. I think I will be looking into reading more of Atwood's novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Assassin.

06/23/2010 page 25
07/01/2010 page 152
29.0% "This book is actually pretty good. I'm enjoying it!"
show 5 hidden updates…