Mag's Reviews > Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich

Inside Hitler's Bunker by Joachim Fest

Jan 03, 2010

bookshelves: germany, eastern-europe, non-fiction, wwii
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

It’s a very well written book which details the last days of Hitler’s life and the surrender of Berlin and the Third Reich. It was April 1945 when the Soviet forces launched an offensive against Berlin, and it became apparent very quickly that the city had no means to repel it. The city and the Third Reich surrendered at the beginning of May 1945. Hitler was dead by then. He spent this time inside his bunker beneath the Reich Chancellery in Berlin where he tried to conduct a defensive and declined all offers for evacuation, and where he finally committed suicide. All his last activities, and the confusion following his death, the best they can be reconstructed, are described here.

I found the book a very good and compelling read. It read like fiction, but at the same time seemed to display sound judgement and great attention to both detail and historical truth. For me, it clarified the contradicting reports that followed Hitler’s death that persisted for many years after the war.

Now I am interested in Fest’s analysis of Hitler’s personality- even in the very short presentation of it in this book, he pointed to some interesting aspects of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Hitler's Bunker.

12/30/2009 page 80

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Oh wow.....can't wait to hear what you think about this one.