Shawna's Reviews > Shadow Game

Shadow Game by Christine Feehan

Jan 14, 2010

bookshelves: author-christine-feehan, romantic-suspense, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, series-ghostwalkers, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, 2010-reads, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, military-romance, sizable-packages, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-im-gaga-over, psychic-special-abilities-powers, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, tattoos-piercings-body-art, 4-stars, hero-brooding, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-warrior, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, assassin-hitman, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, hero-walking-hardon, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, pnr-paranormal-romance, badass-kickass-motha-fucka
Recommended to Shawna by: Danielle :)
Recommended for: Fans of paranormal romance & hot alpha military heroes
Read from January 11 to 14, 2010

4 stars – Paranormal Romance/Romantic Suspense

This is an exciting, promising start to what appears to be a thrilling series about a covert experimental government program designed to enhance the paranormal abilities and various psychic powers of a group of elite soldiers called the “GhostWalkers”. It’s a cool premise, and I liked the combination of paranormal elements and romantic suspense. Captain Ryland Miller is a yummy alpha hero who falls hard and fast for fellow telepath, Dr. Lily Whitney, as they race to expose the dangerous conspiracy that’s threatening the lives of Ryland’s men.

The romance between tough, sexy, protective alpha Ryland and spunky, independent virgin Lily is blistering hot. My only complaint is that the story dragged a bit for me in places. I think it’s partly due to the usual first book of a series world-building and also because of Feehan’s exceedingly detailed, overly descriptive, and extra wordy style, which I liked for the sex scenes (steamy!) but it tended to slow down the flow and action at times.

Overall, I enjoyed Shadow Game, particularly the intriguing, unique premise, interesting characters, and strong romantic element, and it’s definitely sparked my interest in reading more books in the series. 4 stars!

20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Game.

01/11 page 140
01/13 page 206
63.78% "It's taking me a while to get through this for some reason?!" 1 comment
01/14 page 323
100.0% "A good/promising start to what seems like an exciting series. Thanks Danielle for the rec! :)"
02/05 marked as: read

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Hi Shawna,
I will be anxious to find out what you think of this book. I just added this series to my TBR pile and I know a lot of my goodreads friends LOVE these books. I hope you are enjoying it!
Ally

Shawna The last thing I need is to get hooked on yet another series, but I figured I'd give it a try since several GR friends rave about them. So far I'm enjoying it and can already sense a potential series addiction, LOL! :)

Shawna LOL, Danielle! I mostly blame you (I mean happily credit of course) for introducing me to another series to get myself hooked on! :)

message 5: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Shawna...I found out about the series from Danielle too! She was one of my friends that loves it!!! I think I am definitely going to have to get them right away.

Danielle...I always know if you love a series that I probably will too! I am starting the second Lords of the Underworld book since I read your review last night. I decided I could also try to get caught up with those books. I am anxious to read the third one about Reyes and Danika.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) OMG, Shawna. I am so in love with this series. Something about the Ghostwalkers. I want one for my own!!! I just need to recruit other addicts of this series to make me feel better. I can't wait to see what you think of Kadan, my man! Ally, I hope you read this one soon, too.

Ally, I'm glad you got back into the Lords series. I think I'm going to be reaching for those when I get done with my PNR challenge books this month!

Shawna Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "OMG, Shawna. I am so in love with this series. Something about the Ghostwalkers. I want one for my own!!! I just need to recruit other addicts of this series to make me feel better. I can't wait to see what you think of Kadan, my man!"

LOL, Danielle! It's really good so far, although I've gotten distracted a few times since I started on it. Which book is Kadan's story?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Kadan is in Murder Game. I can understand being distracted. CF does have a wordy writing style, and this book is her world-building book. Don't give up!

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Jan 11, 2010 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Well, I've been distracted by work/life crap mostly, and the 1st book of a series are usually my least favorite anyway. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Darn work!!! It gets in the way of everything. Do you ever find yourself resenting family/friends when they want you to do stuff with them, and you want to stay home and read? Maybe that's just me. :)

I hope everything works out okay with work and life. The saying, "This too shall pass," is so true.

message 11: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Hang in there Shawna! I am sorry you haven't had a lot of time to read and relax. I agree with you about first books in series...I have to always remember to try to keep an open mind when reading them (I am not always so good about it).

Danielle...I sometimes feel the same way and then feel guilty for feeling that way! I am glad I am not the only one.

message 12: by Shawna (last edited Jan 11, 2010 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Thanks ladies! It's nothing bad really. I'm just busy doing the post holiday catch up, which we all have to deal with.

I feel that way too sometimes about work and friend commitments, so nope, ya'll aren't alone. :)

Shawna Danielle,

It seems like there are several soldiers introduced in this (Jonas, Jeff, Ian, Tucker, etc.) that are part of the group experiment, but I don't see them as lead heroes in books 2-8. Do they have secondary roles in those books? Or maybe they'll be leads in upcoming, yet unreleased, GW books? Just wondering 'cause there are a lot of characters in this to keep up with! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think she just hasn't gotten around to writing their stories. She hasn't said one way or the other if they will all have books, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

She has books for Ryland, Nico, Gator, and Kadan from the first team.

Then she does stories for Jack, Ken, and Jess from the Navy SEAL team.

Street Game is an entirely different team.

Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan Mind Game (GhostWalkers, #2) by Christine Feehan Night Game (GhostWalkers, #3) by Christine Feehan Murder Game (GhostWalkers, #7) by Christine Feehan
Ryland's Army Team (Team 1)

Conspiracy Game (GhostWalkers, #4) by Christine Feehan Deadly Game (GhostWalkers, #5) by Christine Feehan Predatory Game (GhostWalkers, #6) by Christine Feehan
Navy SEAL team (Team 2)

Street Game (GhostWalkers, #8) by Christine Feehan
Urban Warfare team (Team 3)

Here is a great list that one of the CF fans posted from the Yahoo CF group. It's pretty comprehensive. There might be spoilers:

TEAM ONE: ARMY TEAM: General Ranier
Jeff Hollister
Tucker Addison
Jonas Harper
Kyle Forbes
Russell Cowlings (turned out to be bad guy and died in Book 1)
Dwayne Gibson (mentioned in Book 2 as already dead)
Ron Shaver (mentioned in Book 2 as already dead)
Morrison (mentioned in Book 1 as already dead)

TEAM TWO: NAVY TEAM: Rear Admiral Frank Henderson
Jesse Calhoun
Jack Norton
Ken Norton
Logan Maxwell
Todd "Trace" Aikens (called Todd in Book 2; Trace in Book 5)
Martin Howard
Neil Campbell
Antonio Martinez

TEAM THREE: MARINE TEAM: Sergeant Major Theodore Griffen
Mack McKinley
Brian Hutton (first appeared in Book 6)
Kane Cannon (the same Kane paired with Rose in Book 5)
Javier Enderman

Joe Spagnola

WHITNEY'S SUPERSOLDIERS
Luther (Book 4 - dead)
Ron (Book 4)
Will Gunthrie (Book 4 - dead)
Brett (Books 4 & 5 - dead)
Mitch (Book 5 - dead)
Sean (Book 5 - dead)
Don Bascomb (Book 5 - dead)
Gerald Robard (Book 5 - dead)
Rob Tate (Book 5 - never directly noted him as evil)

PUPPETMASTER'S TEAM: (all from Murder Game - Book 7)
Tom Delaney - Scorpion (given a second chance to join the good guys)
Stallion (Dead)
Frog (Dead)
Snake (Dead)
Blade (Dead)
Jason Sturges - Bull (Dead)
Hawk (Dead)
Reaper (Dead)
The Puppet Master - James Dunbar (Dead)

GHOSTWALKER WOMEN
Marigold Smith
Saber Wynter
Tansy Meadows
Jaimie Fielding
Ivy (mentioned in Book 5 as already dead)
Rose (first mentioned in Book 2, appears in book 5)
Violet Smythe (first appears in Book 5)
Carmella "Cami" (first appears in Book 5)
Jonquille (first mentioned in Book 2)
Laurel (first mentioned in Book 2)
Thorn (first mentioned in Book 6)

THE COUPLES SO FAR:
Ryland Miller - Lily Whitney (Book 1 - Shadow Game)
Nicolas Trevane - Dahlia Le Blanc (Book 2 - Mind Game)
Raoul "Gator" Fontenot - Iris "Flame" Johnson (Book 3 - Night Game)
Jack Norton - Briony Jenkins (Book 4 - Conspiracy Game)
Ken Norton - Marigold Smith (Book 5 - Deadly Game)
Jesse Calhoun - Saber Wynter (Book 6 - Predatory Game)
Kadan "Bishop" Montague - Tansy Meadows (Book 7 - Murder Game)
Mack McKinley - Jaimie Fielding (Book 8 - Street Game)

Shawna WOW, that's a lot of characters! Thanks for all the great info, Danielle! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm glad I could pass it on. :) I'm kissing the feet of the girl who put this all together. I'm pretty obsessed with this series, if you haven't noticed. LOL.

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think she just hasn't gotten around to writing their stories. She hasn't said one way or the other if they will all have books, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

She has books for Ryland, Ni..."

WOW!!! And I thought I had OCD. I'm speechless, Danielle.

MelissaB Wow, what a list! But then again I have a list of the Breeds series in order along with the H/h, Breed type and the number of children and their names - hey it was hard to keep track!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) That's really cool, Melissa. I've thought about doing a Montgomery/Taggart family tree. Never got around to it, though. :)

message 21: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A Melissa and Danielle,
I've had the same thought for several series. In fact I was thinking the other day I wanted to create book lists of all the series I read. I completely understand about how hard it is to keep track. The information above about the Ghostwalker's is awesome. Even if I put something together it would probably only be the characters who already have books. Kudos to that girl! :-)

At one time I did actually create a Montgomery and Taggart tree for a friend who wanted to read them. I have no idea where it is now. Maybe I can hunt it down.

MelissaB Well in my Book spreadsheet of all the books I own, I do list series in order by number but it may be nice to have more info about the series in it's own spreadsheet. I admit I love spreadsheets!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) That's really cool, Lynsey. I hope you find it someday.

Melissa, my sister does a lot of spreadsheets, as well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great Review, Shawna! I'm glad you liked this one. You are very right about CF's writing style. :)

Shawna Thanks, Danielle! I enjoyed this and plan to continue on with the series. I just need to juggle them with all my other series and massive TBR list! :)

Auntee Great review Shawna--and you hit the nail on the head with CF's writing style---verry wordy, but she tells a good story. Her books (well, at least this first one since that's all I've read of the series) aren't ones that you can zip right through!

message 28: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review Shawna. :)

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Great review Shawna--and you hit the nail on the head with CF's writing style---verry wordy, but she tells a good story. Her books (well, at least this first one since that's all I've read of the ..."

Thanks, Auntee! Yep, it seemed to take me twice as long as usual to get through this one!

Shawna Tammy wrote: "Terrific review Shawna. :)"

Thanks, Tammy! :)

message 31: by MelissaB (last edited Jan 14, 2010 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Nice review Shawna! Feehan's writing is very flowery and wordy but her stories are good if you can get past the womb-clenching, molten lava and velvet over steel members. I sometimes have no clue what is happening in her love scenes when they are real flowery. That's why the Feehanism Drinking Game is so much fun, because you get to drink every time you see a "signature" phrase then you end up having a good time reading them instead of cringing at clenching wombs.

I do really like Feehan's latest Dark and Ghostwalker books and Burning Wild, I think she is doing a good job and even toning down some of the phrases and flowery writing.

Shawna Thanks, Melissa!

Melissa wrote: "That's why the Feehanism Drinking Game is so much fun, because you get to drink every time you see a "signature" phrase then you end up having a good time reading them instead of cringing at clenching wombs."

ROTFLMAO! I love it! I'll have to remember that the next time it's taking me a while to get through a book. Maybe drinking will help speed it along, or at least make things a lot more fun!

I think I needed that when I was reading The Edge of Desire by Stephanie Laurens 'cause it had some pretty exhaustive purple prose that probably would have been a lot more interesting after a couple of Mexican martinis...LOL :)

Kathrynn This was my least liked in this series. Good thing I didn't read it first or I might have missed out on some great books. :-) I read "Night Game" first. Picked it up without knowing it was part of a series a long time ago. Loved it. Then dived into the series--in order.

Shawna Kathrynn wrote: "This was my least liked in this series. Good thing I didn't read it first or I might have missed out on some great books. :-) I read "Night Game" first. Picked it up without knowing it was part ..."

That's what I hear! Good to know that the series gets even better! :)

Ronyell Great review Shawna! I agree that the sex scenes did slow down the book a bit in some places, but I still enjoyed this book!

Shawna Thanks, Ronyell!