Joy's Reviews > Mother of Pearl

Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes

Jun 21, 10

bookshelves: own, 2010
Read from May 29 to June 21, 2010

This one was hard for me to get through. And as I've been perusing other reviews on it, I see I'm definitely not the only one who had a strong urge to throw it out the window! I give this a 2.5 rating, but there are no halves here so just pretend there is! The first 300 or so pages really STUNK! The author uses crass and disgusting graphic visuals, that made me want to vomit. But the last 100 or so pages were really good, and it seemed to go much faster. So, here's the deal, start reading this book at page 300 and you may find it worthy of a higher rating. I just had a hard time getting into it, but also couldn't abandon it, strangely. I kept asking myself WHY am I still reading this?!" then I'd turn the page and keep going. I guess there is that question of "Will this get better?" When I finally turned the last page I dropped it on the floor with a sigh of relief that it was over!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother of Pearl.

05/29/2010 page 1
06/02/2010 page 45
9.07% "This one is going pretty slow for me so far....at this point it is a 3 star book, but of course I'm not even 100 pages in yet, so we'll see...."
06/06/2010 page 63
12.7% "This one had a rough start but it's getting a little better!"
06/08/2010 page 80
16.13% "Right now I'm thinking I am glad this book was given to me as I wouldn't want to think that I'd pay for this junk! Blech....Oprah never did have that great a taste in books! Oh well....I will keep trudging through it." 1 comment
06/13/2010 page 180
36.0% "UGH, this one won't be getting anything more than 3 stars from me, I have NO idea how it won so many awards!"
06/18/2010 page 307
62.0% "This is starting to get better, I can see why it was the way it was in the beginning now..."
06/20/2010 page 386
78.0% "the first three hundred pages were pretty gruesome and horrid and the last 100 or so seem to be pretty good!"
show 5 hidden updates…