Tom's Reviews > Nothing Right: Short Stories

Dec 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in January, 2010

Antonya Nelson presents a collection of short stories, whose heavily introspective narration seeks to give us a glimpse into the motives for their decisions, actions, even their lives. Here is a sampling, listed by story title:
“Nothing Right” – A free-spirited woman who has done “nothing right” in her marriage or in the raising of her (now) fifteen-year-old son, now faces the repercussions of her life.
“Party of One” – A woman meets with her suicidal sister’s lover to convince him to break up with her gently.
“OBO” – A woman is distraught when her advances toward her professor’s wife are rebuffed.
“Kansas” – Two sisters who live together (with their husbands) are shocked when the teenage daughter of one disappears with the toddler daughter of the other.
“Biodegradable” – A happily married woman begins a series of serial affairs.
“DWI” – a married woman who, as an eight-year-old, accidentally killed her younger brother, must deal with the possibility that her lover killed himself because of her.
Ms. Nelson keeps us engaged with the story, providing characters with enough mystery about them that we continue to want to know, as the story progresses, “What happens next?”
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Goodreads.com’s “First Reads” program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Right.