Mike's Reviews > Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War

Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz

Dec 28, 09

bookshelves: history, current-events, travel
Read in June, 2009

This is one of those books I've been meaning to read since it came out ten years ago or so. I finally got around to it this summer. Horowitz does a tour of the south in an effort to try to understand the continuing fascination down here with the Civil War. Along the way, he meets an odd collection of characters still obsessed with the war nearly 150 years after it ended. It is true that these people are not representative of the majority of folks living in the south today, but they do exist and their motivations vary. (And I say this as someone who once got drug to a Sons of Confederate Veterans meeting. Ugh.) I think Horowitz does a good job of explaining these people and even humanizing most of them, without resorting to caricature or hiding the casual racism that many of them exhibit. Anyway, I found the book fascinating, very funny at times, and disturbing at others. A very good book and I recommend it for anyone who wants to know what lurks not too far below the surface of the "new" south.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confederates in the Attic.