Yoon's Reviews > The Fury / Dark Reunion

Dec 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This is an omnibus containing #3 and #4 of The Vampire Diaries (originally a quartet; there is now a #5, which I refuse to touch). Never let it be said that I read these books because they were *good.* This continues the angsty and overblown adventures of Elena, the beautiful, vain, spoiled, and extremely annoying high schooler who has been turned into a vampire; Stefan, the "good" vampire brother who loves her for her "strong spirit" (as far as I can determine, this means "spoiled rotten and also I like to mack on high schoolers even though I'm a couple of centuries old"); Damon, the "evil" vampire brother who is not as evil as he seems, although he is sarcastic and enjoys tormenting his brother (and given what a wet blanket Stefan is, I almost can't blame him), and who is, unforgivably, *also* attracted to Elena; and Elena's various friends, including will-do-anything-for-her former boyfriend Matt (he is a little short in the brains department), skeletons-in-the-closet but levelheaded Meredith, and impulsive but psychic Bonnie. (The TV show ditches Meredith, reinstates Caroline instead, and makes Bonnie a black character and a witch with ancestors going back to Salem. Among other things.)

The most notable thing about #3 is that Smith takes the unusual step of *killing off Elena.* The villain Elena kills is not terribly credible as a threat--she belongs to the class of not-terribly-bright-but-powerful villains who likes to brag about all their accomplishments just before they end up getting offed--and I had hoped Elena would be gone forever. But no. In #4, as frosting on the cake (one presumes), they manage to resurrect her after defeating the next big threat.

As I said, these are pretty terrible, and while they're amusing if you are looking for something to mock, I am kind of going to have to recommend that if you want something better constructed, you should watch the TV show instead. (I read #1, #2, and #4 before the TV show came out, and the books were still pretty terrible then, but the TV show, while it's not actually good TV on its own merits either, makes the books now look even worse.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fury / Dark Reunion.