Stinkerbelle Stormborn's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To be brutally honest after reading 'Gone with the Wind', I still haven't found another Southern novel that could impress me as much. Another thing is that I expected this one to be a perfect book, which, of course, rarely happens. So, I would rate it a little bit higher than 4 stars but not enough to round it up to 5.

In general, I could say it was a very nice book. I loved the simple-looking, yet complicated story, set in Maycomb, Alabama. It follows the POV of one of the main characters - Scout Finch - a tomboyish girl in her first year of school. Its central point it seems is racial discrimination, but to me it represented the general narrow-mindedness and prejudice that the majority of people possess. It depicts as well the not so smooth transfer of Scout, Jem and Dill, from their innocent and simple world to the real world of cruelty and unfairness, which, at least to Scout, seems rather difficult to comprehend.

I quite agree with something that I read, depicting Harper Lee as an extremely talented writer, because she was supposed to provide balance between a child's point of view and the complexity of the events that unfold in the novel.

As a whole I see why it is considered a classic and why it needs to be read. It's one of those book that I hold great respect for - a multilayered plot with numerous philosophical points that could be reflected upon later.
1 like · likeflag