Allegra's Reviews > Code Orange

F 50x66
Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books-rick
Recommended to Allegra by: Library
Recommended for: people interested in medicine
Read in January, 2010, read count: 1

"Code Orange" by Caroline B. Cooney is about a young teenager named Mitty Blake. In science class they have to do a project on infectious disease. Although the project was assigned four weeks ago, Mitty, being a typical slacker, waits until the very last minute. Mitty decides to do his project on smallpox because of the surplus of books his mother just bought from an old doctor on them. While Mitty is looking through one of the books, an envelope marked "Scabs- VM epidemic, 1902, Boston" he opens the envelope, and unknowingly breathes in the smallpox scabs. Quite soon Mitty realizes he inhaled the scabs and is convinced he will get smallpox. In order to protect everyone he decides he must commit suicied, but does have his fears and doubts. The question throughout the book is if he actually contracted the smallpox disease.

I can make a text to world connection in this book. In 2003, a librarian in Santa Fe found smallpox scabs in a book. Like Mitty Blake, in "Code Orange" she had the FBI on her doorstep in a second.

I give "Code Orange" by Caroline B. Cooney three out of five stars. The reason I only give it three out of five stars is because it was a very slow plot to read in general, and made me want to skip over whole papragraph's at a time. Although, even though it was boring n some parts, the whole book kept you guessing and wondering if Mitty actually got the smallpox disease. I would recomend this book to anyone who is interested in medicine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Orange.

12/28/2009 page 10
5.0% "Mitty is looking through his mothers books."