Karen's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Dec 28, 09

Read in December, 2009

This book changed my life. Since I was in college and had praise heaped upon one of my stories by a writing professor, I knew I had the necessary talent to be a writer, my dream since childhood. Yet I had more excuses to NOT write than I had reasons to write. With two published books, I still find excuses. Then I read King's book and it has inspired and motivated me more than anything else. He doesn't understand those authors who publish one or two books then stop. He states, "If God has given you something to do, then why aren't you doing it?"

Despite my literary background and love of the classics, Stephen King has always been one of my favorite authors, a guilty pleasure to read. He's more than just a popular author of thrillers, he has mastered his craft and is worth studying if you want to write.

On Writing outlines his motivation, his background and how Carrie, that first novel that launched his career as a bestselling author, came to be. He is hugely prolific, which I admire no end. This book was interrupted by the accident that nearly killed him, yet he came back to it in horrible pain to finish. Most of us would have given up at that point. He certainly has enough money and fame, why bother to finish a book which was so hard for him to write? Regardless of what anyone thinks of his fiction, the man is a genius--a down-to-earth guy who truly loves to write and who has chosen to share his story and philosophy on writing with aspiring authors. To me, it's a generous gift, and I thank him for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.