KarenH's Reviews > In Your Wildest Dreams

In Your Wildest Dreams by Toni Blake

May 05, 10

bookshelves: definitely-worth-your-while, keepers, sexy-with-a-capital-s-hero, lusty-cajun, paperback-5-stars-plus
Read from April 26 to May 01, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I think I'm suffering from a case of "hero worship" with Toni Blake. Has she ever written a bad book? Her heroes are sexy, sultry, swarthy, lusty, brooding hunks that are written with enough faults and shortcomings to give us readers hope that men like them actually exist somewhere on this planet.

Jake Broussard fits the TB hero package perfectly. He's a bartender in a New Orleans private club that caters to top-dollar hookers and the rich men who desire their company. Jake is also a dead man walking, for life as he once knew it ended when a bullet meant for him struck and killed his pregnant wife.

Stephanie Grant is on a mission to find her little sister and get her out of New Orleans and the call-girl lifestyle she has adopted. Acting on the advice of an ex-hooker she met online, Stephanie dresses up in her "come f**k me" best and cruises into the private club...hoping to get some insight on the whereabouts of her sister. Jake, warring between not giving a damn and not wanting to see the girl get hurt, succumbs to the latter and promises Stephanie he will help her find her sister. How could he not help her? It was so blatantly obvious that she was not what she appeared to be, Jake figured the least he could do was keep her from getting herself killed.

His soul may have died but his libido was alive & kicking, and Jake put the moves on Steph early-on. Steph, for God only knows what reason, prickteases Jake to the point of no return and then thwarts his advances at the last minute several damn times! Her reason was so lame it didn't warrant the 100+ pages it took to work up her confidence. However, they finally get on the same sexual page; and, once Jake coaxes Steph out of her shyness, she totally connects with the hidden nasty wanton within and....rabbits they become!

Ok, we are all aware this is nothing more than a fling. Steph has a life and another guy back in Chicago and Jake wasn't even in the market for sex with the same person twice. So who burst the bubble? C'mon, Jake is beyond-this-world sexy with his dark good looks and husky-voiced Cajun accent. Steph commits THE SIN by blurting out those 3 little words guaranteed to send the majority of single men running for cover...in another country. And Jake, being that realistic hero Toni does so well, says "I'm sorry beb, but I can't love anyone else but her" (meaning his dead wife). Ugh. Would that be devastating or what?

The book definitely had some Hallmark moments, and I was swiping at my eyes more than once. But all problems are nicely resolved and there is a sweet HEA (as well as the coveted "epilogue", which seems to be on the verge of extinction lately) And as usual, TB's characters are so real that when Jake starts talking that lusty Cajun sex talk....well, just keep your legs crossed and count to 10 backwards. LMAO Have I sold you on this one yet?

[image error]
Jake

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Your Wildest Dreams.

04/29/2010 page 240
54.55% "I'm having a helluva time choosing between the book I'm reading and the book I'm listening to...both are excellent!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathleen Please let me know what you think of In Your Wildest Dreams when your done.

message 2: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim I can't wait to get this one!

Kathleen WOW!!!!WOW!!!!!WOW!!!! Did I say WOW? What a great review Karen. You brought the book right back to me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully You sold me at "Jake is beyond-this-world sexy with his dark good looks and husky-voiced Cajun accent"

ooh la la!

KarenH Oh.. he is all that and then some, Scully. I would love to hear him speak because I've never heard a Cajun accent before. Wait, I take that back...Dennis Quaid in The Big Easy. But I was about 10 then and hearing the word chere wouldn't have "unsettled" me like it would now. :D