Rachel Brand's Reviews > Jo's Boys

Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: own, louisa-may-alcott, 2008, classics
Read in December, 2008

Finally! I started reading this as soon as I finished Little Men, but didn't really get into so put it down for a few months. Around page 150 I suddenly got hooked on the stories within the book (because every chapter in an Alcott novel has its own individual plot) and read a few chapters every day until I finished it. It's obvious at the end that it's the last book she'll write about the March family as the last page lists what happens to every character - which is a bit sad, as Alcott's novels are always such sweet, simple reads. Luckily I have Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom on my bookcase to read! I once read the synopsis of one of Alcott's older, less-popular novels on Amazon, and it was described as a collection of "wholesome and moralistic stories" which I think is a perfect description of Jo's Boys. A lot of people these days don't like stories which have meanings and morals, but I do. I guess I'm kind of old fashioned in that way - I would love to live in a family similar to that of Jo March's. 9/10
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jo's Boys.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Louisa May Alcott
“Glad you like my first tableau. Come and see number two. Hope it isn't spoilt; it was very pretty just now. This is 'Othello telling his adventures to Desdemona'."
The second window framed a very picturesque group of three. Mr March in an armchair, with Bess on a cushion at his feed, was listening to Dan, who, leaning against a pillow, was talking with unusual animation. The old man was in shadow, but little Desdemona was looking up with the moonlight full upon her face, quite absorbed in the story he was telling so well. The gay drapery over Dan's shoulder, his dark colouring and the gesture of his arm made the picture very striking and both very striking, and both spectators enjoyed it with silent pleasure, till Mrs Jo said in a quick whisper:
"I'm glad he's going away. He's too picturesque to have among so many romantic girls. Afraid his 'grand, gloomy and peculiar' style will be too much for our simple maids.”
Louisa May Alcott, Jo's Boys

10/02/2008 page 19
11/11/2008 page 19
5.16% "I can't believe that I started this in August and never finished it! Reread chapter one again and loved it! Alcott is a wonderful author."
11/12/2008 page 34
9.24% "Best quote so far: "Nat approached in answer to Mr Bhaer's beckoning teaspoon." I did a double take when I read that line!"
11/14/2008 page 66
17.93% "Loving this! Alcott can always be relied upon for feel-good books."
11/22/2008 page 91
24.73% "Alcott is a genius - she manages to reference Shakespeare's 'Othello' so accurately!"
12/10/2008 page 294
79.89% "What a lovely book! I will definitely miss reading about the March family when I'm finished."
12/10/2008 page 340
92.39% "Sniff, sniff, only one more chapter left!"
show 10 hidden updates…