Zaubin Z's Reviews > Prometheus Rising

U 50x66
Oct 25, 07

Recommended for: philosophers, metaphysicians
Read in October, 2007

Pretty good book over all. Lots of good things to think about, and Wilson does a very nice job of clearly describing Leary's 8 circuits.
The only thing is his tendency to jump to conclusions, or misunderstanding his own premises on various occasions, particularly when it comes to modern physics.
Also, it is almost as if he is trying to hard to convince the reader that the 8 circuit model makes sense. It definitely makes a lot of sense for the lower 4 circuits, but the upper 4 seem much more arbitrarily defined. That is, I can see where the lower four come from and why they are in that order, but the upper four seem kind of random. And the explanation of their functions is also overly vague.
He also makes a very weak argument for the timeframe of the appearance of these circuits in the course of human evolution.
There is some degree of self-contradiction between supporting a claim that everything is a "reality tunnel," and then saying the opposite in the "quantum" circuit, wherein we come into contact with perception that is distinctly outside of the reality tunnel.
But I really like his enthusiasm for life extention and exponential progress. While I agree that progress is nonlinear, I would predict much more conservative dates for progressional milestones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prometheus Rising.