Stephanie Holmes's Reviews > My Brother Sam Is Dead

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier

Jan 13, 08

Recommended to Stephanie by: social studies teacher
Recommended for: anyone who likes American history

My Brother Sam is a story that takes place during the American Revolution. It is the story of a boy named Sam who decided to join the Rebel army. His family owns a tavern and do not agree with Sam’s decision to join the army because they support the British government. There is additional conflict when Sam needs a weapon before he leaves, so he makes plans to steal his father’s gun. Sam’s journey is a long one with many difficult times. He quickly grows up because there is no longer time to act like a child when you are fighting a war. He experiences the excitement of winning a battle, but at the same time learns and experiences the tragedy of war and sees many friends die. It is story that brings to life the history of America, while making it a personal journey of one boy fighting for what he believed was the right thing to do for America.

The tone of the story is a mixture of excitement for the possibilities of what America can become, but at the same time there is a great deal of tragedy in Sam’s experience. He and his family experience many difficult times just as families did at that time. The characters in the story, Sam, his brother Tim, his mother and father, and his girlfriend Betsy, would seem to be the members of any family living in America at the time of the American Revolution. They each have their own belief about what is right and wrong, and if the fighting between the colonists is good or bad for the country. There is conflict as well as the support for each other that families provide. It was a difficult time, but the story is well told with the theme of the American Revolution and the lessons learned from it. By providing images of real battles and places you get a better understanding of how difficult life must have been during that time in America.

I would suggest this book to everyone. It is probably most interesting for someone who enjoys American History. It is also a good read for anyone who doesn’t normally like history because you can learn a lot about the American Revolution by living it with Sam. Although it is fiction, the writer has used real battles and real places in history to tell the story which make it interesting and educational at the same time. This book offers the excitement of a mystery, in what will happen next. The joy of love and the tragedy of death, with the details of the history of our country are all in this book. I give this book 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother Sam Is Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms.Whitehead (new)

Ms.Whitehead This is a terrific review, Stephanie. Well done!