Jessica's Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Dec 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: recommendation, audio-book, emotional, holocaust, non-fiction, 2009, 3-stars-liked-it, autobiography, historical, owned, european-history, world-war-2, wartime
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy

A very interesting re-telling of the author's experience in Nazi concentration camps. I really enjoyed the reflective, conversational tone of the book - The language can be choppy at times, but that is part of the reflective tone, in my opinion. It reminds me of sitting and talking to the person one-on-one, as though a grandpa is sitting in his living room telling his memories of his past, some parts are missing or not developed well, but isn't that how memory works?

It captivated me from the beginning, how the townspeople could have been so trusting that things would work out, and although they had days of forewarning to escape before being sent to the horrors of the camps, they shunned those who had escaped and come to warn them. Its an interesting look at how the human mind works in times of distress.

What would you do if you were backed into a corner by others who hate you simply for who you are and what you believe?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.