Beata Bowen's Reviews > Pygmy

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fiction
Read in December, 2009

Oh, Chuck... Wouldn't it be nice if someone would translate this book into English? Although all the words in this edition can be found in an English dictionary, the syntax appears to be Korean. (I'm making this part up. I have no idea what Korean syntax is like.) Take, for instance: "Then now, make small parade to arrive sleeping chamber..." This means, of course: "Walk on over to the bedroom..." Or: "Over course conflict, males boasting superior masculature inflict injure upon males typical of superior intellect although suffering inferior height-to-weight ratio, body mass index, and stature." Meaning: "During the game, the athletic jocks kicked the nerdy intellectuals' ass."

So, the book is a challenge to read, to say the least, but I have to say that Palahniuk is either a genius to be able to keep this up for over 200 pages or he used some fancy translating system (I know of writers who did that.... Translate something into a foreign language and then translate it back to English and call it art.).

As for the story itself, I found Pygmy much more likable than I expected. The satire does go over the top, and even by Palahniuk standards, there are a few scenes I could have lived without, but still... I liked that little guy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmy.

12/27/2009 page 112