Brian Goodman's Reviews > Daughter of the Empire

Dec 27, 2009

Recommended to Brian by: Stephaine Goodman
Recommended for: Everyone
I own a copy , read count: 1

This is an very emotional book. After reading a few chapters, I quickly felt very attached to the main character; Mara, Lady of the Acoma noble family of the Tsurani Empire.

At a child’s age, Mara is torn from becoming what is like a monk or a priestess when she learns the news of the death of her father and her brother from the devious hands of a rival family whose had a blood feud with the Acoma for many years. As the only surviving member of the Acoma family, Mara is thrust into the role of Ruling Lady. In an attempt to save her family name’s honor and the people who’ve worked for them for generations from utter destruction and shame; and for revenge of the death of her loved ones; Mara enters a game of political intrigue, subterfuge, and murder called the Game of the Council. While trying to achieve her aims, she become a powerful player of the game bending the rules of Tsurani tradition to get her way, but makes many enemies and is seen as dangerous and cunning by others in process.

With every success she achieved, I laughed in joy. With every hardship and suffering she had, I cried. This book was one of more powerful books I’ve read by invoking those emotions, though the oriental setting was different from what I am used to

This book is set in a fantasy world, but the story is one that usually is not told in this genre. People who like books with female heroines, tales of love, honor, and intrigue will love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Empire.

01/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Thanks for the great review and suggestions, Brian.