Georgia (Jeni) Sabovich's Reviews > Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe

Good Without God by Greg M. Epstein

F_50x66
Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

I got this book, b/c I study different religions. This book promised to be the next greatest educational book on humanism, so I thought I'd check it out. While I can see where Epstein derives his arguments for humanism, he spends a little too much time putting down traditional Christianity. Some of his ideas make perfect sense, and I agree with them; however, his writing takes on a passive-aggressive tone a little too often. In the end, there is not much backing to the ideas he is proposing. It's like the reader has to just believe that he is the expert, so what he says goes. I stopped reading it a little more than halfway through. I haven't done the research, but I would bet there are more concise, straightforward educational books on the tenets of humanism. In fact, here's a website: http://www.humanistsofutah.org/what.html

I had hoped the being "good" part would have some more instruction, but he seemed to be more interested in expounding on why he and followers of humanism are right and others wrong. This surprised me, as I consider the foundations of humanism to preclude such judgmentalism.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Without God.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker Just curious: What kind of instruction were you looking for on the "good" part? Specific examples, like an answer for what you ought to do with a lost wallet or a broken marriage, or perhaps at least a way of approaching such specific questions? Or were you looking for something else?

Georgia (Jeni) Sabovich Maybe instruction was the wrong word...perhaps description is a better one. I was interested in his definition of what it means to be good without God. Honestly, though, this was over a year ago, and I have moved on and put it out of my mind.