Harper's Reviews > Grave Secret

Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris

Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: mystery-suspense, paranormal, series, books-i-own
Recommended for: mystery fans
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

I've seen mention that there are supposed to be more books in this series, but Mrs. Harris has confirmed on her website that this book is the last Harper Connelly book. She says "never say never," but she currently doesn't intend to write any more books in this series. Just wanted to clarify that for the people who are assuming there are more books to come.

As for the book itself, I think it was a weak conclusion to the series. Other people have said it, but there really is too much repitition in this book and in this series overall. We're constantly reminded of their horrible upbringing, the lightning strike and how it gave her this power and weakened her leg, about her relationship with Tolliver, about how their younger sisters wound up with Hank and Iona, etc. On top of that, the conclusion to this book felt convoluted and rushed.

I'm a fan of Harris's work and I enjoyed this series, but I was definitely disappointed with the ending. I think there was just too much going on in this book for its length and then it was all wrapped up quickly and a little too neatly. Personally, I think that out of all of the characters in this series, I think the only one I was left wanting to see more of was Manfred Bernardo. I think it would be awesome if Mrs. Harris did a spin-off series with him as the lead, though probably unlikely. Still, I think he was a great character and I'm glad he had a part to play in this last book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Secret.

12/27/2009 page 100
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I agree that a series about Manfred would be pretty awesome.

Harper Yeah, it would be! Unfornately, I asked Ms. Harris about it in her forums and she said she didn't think she'd ever do a spin-off series for him, but he might make a cameo in some of her future work. Maybe she'll give him a little part in one of the Sookie books or something?

message 3: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Kai she has a new series coming out in june 2014, midnight, texas I think it's called, and it is a spin off starring Manfred!!!

Harper Beth wrote: "she has a new series coming out in june 2014, midnight, texas I think it's called, and it is a spin off starring Manfred!!!"

Eeeeee! That is awesome to hear! Thanks! I was so bummed when she said she'd probably never do a series for him!