L's Reviews > Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story

Godmother by Carolyn Turgeon

Dec 28, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-supernatural

Quite a retelling of the Cinderella story!

The book is about Cinderella, right? So you must expect some magic & a romantic approach (not just in the sense of romantic love, though that is part of it, but also more broadly). There are evil step-sisters, but they aren't really the focus in this version. There is a prince. He gets a bit more play than the steps. There are fairies. Turgeon moves things from the palace to New York, present day (more or less). There are also some surprises; after all, why retell if you only repeat?

The characters are quite satisfying. They are gentle, quirky, and even a bit nerdy. But it all fits the story, you see.

I can't really say more without spoiling the story. Other than this one thing. I borrowed my daughter-in-law's copy of the book. Then when I went home, I just took it with me. I decided that I've got to read it again, after I've had some time to digest the thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godmother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura What? That's it? That's the review? Linda, Linda . . . you must've been short on time.

message 2: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L Yes, Laura, there was the small matter of the major holiday. But you're right. I was too short. I've revised the review.