Cornmaven's Reviews > Because I Am Furniture

Dec 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: high-school
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book just didn't work for me. It's a novel in verse, which I usually like very much. But I don't think that the story should have been told that way. I think it should have been a regular novel.

The 'verse' alternated between pretty sophomoric stuff, I supposed in an attempt to make the voice of the 14 year old protagonist authentic, and some high level word usage within the verse,which would not fit a 14 year old living in the situation.

The father is over the top abusive - beats up the son, beats on and rapes the middle daughter, but doesn't touch the younger daughter. Hence the title. The mother, out of fear of something, has looked the other way, tried to not rock the boat. It's freaky, creepy, and I suppose accurate for some situations. The middle daughter does nothing because the father has told her he will kill her if she tells, and indeed, his anger is such that it would be reasonable for her to believe him. So she goes to great lengths to protect herself, including using the pill (but how did she get the scrip without parent involvement? - she's a minor - only through a Planned Parenthood office/clinic perhaps -except she's not indigent, and someone should have put 2 and 2 together).

There's an attempt to use volleyball as a some sort of metaphor for confidence, I think, but it doesn't work for me. In fact, the creepy sections are thrown in amidst a large amount of volleyball practice, and it was so weird. If that was the point, OK, but I am not so sure.

All in all, not my favorite book within the genre of abusive parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because I Am Furniture.

Meaghan It's not too difficult for a girl of sixteen or so to be able to get a Pill script without parents finding out. I believe it depends on the state.

Or perhaps Dad helped her get it.

Nicole I totally agree with you that sometimes the poetry was too simple and didn't seem to be written in verse with a purpose, and I hate that the ending just BOOM happened. She steps up once and poof, everything is (nearly) perfect, we never find out what's really up with the neighbor, Jed, and is Kyler starting to be her bf or really just a friend?! So many loose ends, quite an unbelievable resolution at the end and this novel just feels like an Ellen Hopkins wannabe. It's not that I hated it, it's just that it let me down after reading Hopkins' "Identical."

Meaghan My thoughts as well, Nicole.