Amanda's Reviews > Sherlock Bones, Tracer of Missing Pets

Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: 2009, business-and-entrepreneuership, it-s-kinda-true
Recommended for: Animal Lovers & those who aren't afraid of looking dorky
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

I picked this book up on the "free" shelf at Ed McKay about a hundred years ago (maybe less). When I first saw it, I thought, "Hey, that'll be a quick, fun read. I wonder if the dog is the detective..." So there it sat on my shelf year after year, waiting for me to be in the mood to read a story about a crime-fighting sheepdog.

The day finally came and I geared myself up for some silly stories with a jovial tone. And about a half-chapter in, I regretted my choice of novels. Good grief, the writer was taking himself wayyyyy too seriously. There was no silliness in this book! No witty quips. He even used his own name as the narrator's name. And there was no talking dog or even a lassie type, just a boring ol pooch of the average variety.

Meh.

So I put the book down.
But I picked it up again, bored, mechanically, less than half-heartedly. Not bearing to read another chapter, I decided to read the covers. Both of them. Every word. And when I did this, I discovered the key to what I'd been missing--these are the TRUE adventures of Sherlock Bones! Well no wonder he was taking himself so seriously and no wonder he named the main character after himself. My interest was renewed, my fire sparked, and the animal-lover in me began to feel the buzz of a triumphant spirit. Sherlock Bones is comprised of a dozen or so tales of reunification between man and his best friend. And it'll make ya cry, baby. If you're a sentimental wuss like me.

Oh, PS--my book cover looks like this:

Also, how do you like my early morning hair style? Nice, huh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherlock Bones, Tracer of Missing Pets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Your early morning hair style is way better than mine.

Hello again, Amanda ;)

message 2: by Misha (new)

Misha This book sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I don't think I've ever read it.

Your morning hair looks fine to me. I got mine cut yesterday and had layers added, so mine is pretty frightful today. My hair is naturally wavy, and when you add short layers, "Hello, cowlicks!" I kind of like the insanity of it, though. It suits me. ;)

message 3: by J (new)

J I almost never read back covers or introductions. I wonder how much I've been missing.

message 4: by Jini (new)

Jini Honey, you're such a hottie first thing in the morning. I've officially got a crush on you.

Amanda I think you guys should all take pictures of your bed head. I bet you're uber cuties. :)

I have mixed feelings about cover-reading. The thing is, what if it spoils the book???

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Lovin' the hair woman!! :)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Wow! Photo-enhanced review, Amanda. You're really upping the bar for the rest of us. I won't scare everyone with a pic of my early morning hair. =)

message 8: by Amanda (last edited Jan 04, 2010 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda Oh no! Upping the bar??? Damn. How about I lower the bar and just put swear words in my next review? I like it when tasks are accomplished with as little effort as possible. :)