Glenn's Reviews > In the Time of the Butterflies

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: fiction-general, good-beginnings-group-reads
Read in December, 2009

Fictional account of the sad and true story of four sisters in the Mirabal family, three of whom were murdered in November 1960 in the Dominican Republic for working against Trujillo, the dictator in power at the time. A decent read overall and I thought it started out well, but got bogged down in the middle for me, with too many characters and shifting time periods between the chapters that I thought made it difficult to follow the story and keep track of the different sisters, let alone all the other characters that were introduced. I found myself at times wondering "Now, which sister am I reading about?" and flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to find out, which tells me the author didn't do a very good job of giving each character their unique voice.

This book was written as a totally fictional account of the four sisters based on the author's perception of what their lives might have been like, which took something away from it for me. I would rather have read a true account by an author who had researched their lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Time of the Butterflies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica S. Great review. I'm halfway through and am also starting to feel bogged down. If the pace doesn't pick up a bit in the latter half of the book, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it.

CHC94 I feel the same way. There are so many nicknames and people I keep checking to see which person is telling the story. Somewhere around the middle, I stopped caring. I just want to finish the book.

Sawyer Belle Your last paragraph completely sums it up for me, too.