Aredhel's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: faeries-fantasy, young-adult, books-about-books, dark-fantasy, male-protagonist, read-in-2011
Read from May 06 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is really good! One of those rare books that leave its trace in your memory and your heart.
I'm a sucker for dark fairy tales and dark fantasy, so this book hit the spot perfectly! It reminded me greatly of the movie "Pan's Labyrinth" (and, as I understand it, many readers share this feeling). And I totally loved this movie!!! So this similarity played fully in the favor of this book.
The plot is not only great because it deals with some dark matters but also because it has to do with some real life concepts, such as growing up, coming of age, finding what is important in your life and what is not. It teaches young readers how to appreciate what you have, and tells you that even when you aren't content with the life you have it's really up to you to change it, to find bright sides in your existence, and to see, that your life is not actually that bad. However, in order to see it, you have to struggle hard, to overcome many difficulties, and only then will you be able to fully appreciate and love what you have.

A very nice book, that is full of meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

Quotes Aredhel Liked

John Connolly
“You mean they killed her?" asked David.
They ate her," said Brother Number One. "With porridge. That's what 'ran away and was never seen again' means in these parts. It means 'eaten.'"
Um and what about 'happily ever after'?" asked David, a little uncertainly. "What does that mean?"
Eaten quickly," said Brother Number One.”

John Connolly
“This life is filled with threats and danger, David. We face those that we have to face, and there will be times when we must make the choice to act for the greater good, even at risk to ourselves, but we do not lay down our lives needlessly. Each of us has only one life to live, and one life to give. There is no glory in throwing it away where there is no hope.”

John Connolly
“I thought it was her wicked stepmother who poisoned her...'
'...Turned out the wicked stepmother had an alibi.'
'...Seems she was off poisoning someone else at the time. Chance in a million, really. It was just bad luck.”