Magen's Reviews > How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

Feb 10, 10

Read in January, 2010

I must start off by noting that I am reviewing the 132 pg edition of this book (2003). Mark has since come out with a new version that is more than a 1000 pages. I will check out the new version but I'm apprehensive because it's sure to be as daunting to me as his original, How to Cook Everything (which is an incredibly fat book).

I really like Mark's straightforward style to writing about food. First, you have to take note of his background as a journalist. Not a cook. The thing is, he has been researching food FOREVER. This makes a good combination for well-outlined recipes that anyone can understand. He also offers many valuable tips on how to buy ingredients, store them and how to best prepare them.

The layout is practical AND I was excited to find that everything looks like it is edible. I mean...I really want to cook through this entire book. It's not often that you can find a cookbook that EVERYTHING appeals to you. The only bummer is that there is no pictures although I believe there are pictures in the new edition...you just have to have a hefty 1000 page volume to carry around to get them.

Oh, p.s. , this is great for vegans, vegetarians or those of you (like our family) that just want to eat less meat. It's just a good start to having basic vegetarian meals on hand. Give it a try! Better for your health and the environment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.