Chana's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Dec 29, 09

bookshelves: british, historical-fiction, literature-fiction, recommended-to-me, favorites, wwll
read count: 1

This is one of the best books that I have read this year. I laughed and cried my way through it. I wanted to move to Guernsey and live in this book.
I haven't yet tried to explain what it is about: Juliet is an author in England in 1946. She has written a successful and amusing column throughout the war to help people keep their spirits up. The book is a series of letters that Juliet and writes and receives, and some that are between other characters in the book. Juliet receives a letter from a man on Guernsey who now owns a book that used to belong to Juliet and has her name and address inside. He tells her about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and they begin to trade letters. She also begins a correspondence with some of the other members and finally goes to meet these people herself. These are the bones of the book. But the life is in the characters. I can't tell you why exactly, why this book, and not so many of the others that I have read, this book has captured my heart. I intend to buy it as a gift for several people as reading it is like drinking a tincture of the essence love. In case I make it sound too precious, it is not, it deals with some very difficult aspects of wartime. But it does this graciously.

12/28/2009 page 188