Celia Powell's Reviews > Crocodile on the Sandbank

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Oct 31, 07

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favourites
Read in October, 2007

What a marvellous, marvellous book. I've seen Elizabeth Peter's books around, of course, but knew nothing of what they were about, and the covers never particularly attracted me. After seeing them recommended on someone's blog, I thought I'd pick up the first of her Amelia Peabody series - and what a joy it was.

This is a nominally a mystery, but it's not really the meat of the book, nor what is so enjoyable about it. Amelia Peabody - strong-minded, independent, sarcastic Amelia, striding along in her restrictive skirts in Victorian Egypt, fascinated by the country and its ancient history - is what makes this book so thoroughly delightful. What a wonderful character. Her exchanges with Emmerson (a grumpy Egyptologist) are hilarious (the part where she smugly notes that his jacket is on fire from his pocketed pipe after he has harangued her about something or other is hilarious). I can't wait to pick up the next one.
38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crocodile on the Sandbank.

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I love the character of Amelia Peabody. She is strong, intelligent, and funny- very much of woman the the 21st century. I stumbled upon a "Jewel in the Crown" (one of the much later Amelia Peabody series) and really enjoyed. Decided I would start at the beginning with "Crocodile on the Sandbank". About half through it, and loving it.