Bonnie's Reviews > Skipping Christmas

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Dec 26, 09

bookshelves: schlock

What a way to end 2009: reading one of the worst books I've read this year, and I've read some real stinkers. Usually I have to at least contemplate giving one or two stars. I didn't even have to think about how many stars this deserves: one. Well, really zero, but that's not an option here.

Where to begin? First, I did not like a single character. The Kranks were aptly named. The father was surly and touchy and seemed annoyed by the entire world. The mother was weak and whiny. And the daughter was selfish and had no sense of reality, even though partly that's because Grisham decided to do absolutely no research into the Peace Corps. I have a friend in the Peace Corps right now and they get two days of vacation per month of work. So, no, little Blair would not be coming home for ten days of Christmas after less than a month of service. Plus, getting engaged and taking the fiance to a foreign country to meet her parents after knowing each other less than four weeks? Really, Grisham, you put so little effort into this book that you can't even be bothered to have a decent plot device to have the Kranks give up their skipped Christmas? Considering the fiance lived in Lima and Blair lived a 3-day bus ride into the mountains from Lima, they probably saw each other about twice between the initial meeting and coming to America engaged. I guess they called each other a lot? Plus, getting last minute plane tickets during the Christmas season? On whose money?

And don't get me started on the neighbors. We are supposed to feel all heart-warmed and mushy that they pulled together to give the Kranks a Christmas in the end. Except they completely harassed them for the previous few weeks. Their behavior was spiteful and rude.

I know this is supposed to be a book about the madness of the holiday season and crass consumerism or something, but, really, there's a line that most people walk between giving into the holiday frenzy and not doing a single Christmas-related thing. The Kranks were so unhappy because they went from one end of the spectrum to the other without attempting any decent moderation.

The best thing about this book--in fact, the ONLY good thing about this book--was that it was short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Christmas.