J-Lynn's Reviews > The Modala Imperative

Nov 11, 07

bookshelves: graphic-novels, science-fiction
Recommended for: Star Trek fans of all ages
Read in November, 2007

This book was published in 1992 and I can't believe that I have missed out on reading it for the last 16 years! I loved this Graphic Novel!

The issue collects the 8 original comics about the planet Modala as well as an interesting letter from Walter Koenig who played Chekov in the original ST. Even though I consider myself a Next Generation fan, I grew up on the original Star Trek movies and a few of the original's reruns. This collection is the best of both worlds! 4 stories about the original Enterprise crew who go to welcome a planet into the Federation and then end up in the middle of a civil war. And 4 stories with the Next Generation crew along with a guest appearance by Dr. McCoy and Spock who return to Modala 100 years later to celebrate their revolution (which was encouraged by Kirk and Chekov in the original stories).

Friedman and David both should be commended for their writing. They had the characters down perfectly. From the fiesty Dr. McCoy and the cerebral Spock's never ending love-filled bickering to the ever-cool Captain Picard. The stories were action-packed and also filled with the courage that makes the shows so excellent.

Regardless of whether you are a purist or a Next Generation fan, this is one graphic novel to add to your must-read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Modala Imperative.