Amber Anderson's Reviews > Shadows on the Hudson: A Novel

Shadows on the Hudson by Isaac Bashevis Singer

Feb 15, 10

bookshelves: favorites, novels
Read in February, 2010

I will treasure this book forever and ever.

The beginning of the novel focuses on a love story between two married people. They are passionate and willing to risk it all to be together. And they do.

The whole of this novel weaves together the lives of these and other New Yorkers (like a Jewish Magnolia!)

Post World War Two, the characters recount the holocaust and its effect. They question (or denounce) God. Some remain devout. Some hold seances. Some lose themselves is romance, business, or politics.

Shadows on the Hudson is deeply philosophical and just plain lovely. I spent many late nights absorbed in it and I will probably read it again. I zealously recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows on the Hudson.

Quotes Amber Liked

Isaac Bashevis Singer
“But what about the creatures whose flesh he's carrying there? A few days ago they were alive. They too have souls. They too are God’s children. They were quite possibly made of better material than human beings. Since they were sinless, they were certainly more innocent. But day after day they are ritually sacrificed-angels in the shape of oxen, calves, sheep. I once wanted to become a vegetarian. I wanted everything-and I never got further than wanting.”
Isaac Bashevis Singer, Shadows on the Hudson