Holly's Reviews > Heaven to Betsy & Betsy in Spite of Herself

Heaven to Betsy & Betsy in Spite of Herself by Maud Hart Lovelace

Jan 06, 10

bookshelves: own-book
Read in January, 2010

This book is actually 2 novels in one. Heaven to Betsy is Betsy's freshman year of high school and Betsy in Spite of Herself is sophomore year. I read the entire Betsy-Tacy series when I was in 8th grade. I never owned any of the books, I checked them all out of the library.

A few years ago I bought Emma the 1st book in the series titled Betsy-Tacy which is about the beginning of their friendship in Kindergarten. I read it aloud to Emma before she could read. Then I looked to see if I could buy the whole series of books. I was very sad to see that all the later novels in the series were out of print.

A few months ago I saw an article in the news that the publisher was re-releasing all the high school books. I was so happy to hear that! Because these books are set in Minnesota, I have been more interested in re-reading them because I live here. (This spring I'm planning to visit the Betsy-Tacy houses in Mankato.)

A cool thing about these new editions is that they have lots of info and photos in the back about Maud Hart Lovelace and the parts of her life that the books were based on.

So back to the actual book...I absolutely loved it. I had forgotten most of it from when I first read it 20+ years ago. It's just a sweeter, simpler time. It's set around the same time as Anne of Green Gables and I think Betsy and Anne have quite a bit in common, both aspiring writers with very active imaginations and devoted best friends and they both end up falling in love with the boy next door. I just found myself able to relate so much to the way Betsy thinks. But this book is not for everyone. I actually wonder if very many teenagers today would have the patience for it. I think that's sad because when I was a teenager I loved to lose myself for a few hours in Betsy's world.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven to Betsy & Betsy in Spite of Herself.