Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > Winds of Fate

Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey

1973239
Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

I customarily skip the Mage Winds books when reading through Valdemar. They're pretty terrible, for the same reasons the Gryphon books are terrible. That reason is Larry Dixon. He's uncredited on these, but his atrocious writing is unmistakable. (I have been harsh on some of Lackey's work too, but her failures are in completely different directions.)

The Elspeth and Skif chapters are marginally ok - if they were the whole of the book, I'd probably give it three stars. The mock-romance is annoying, and the whole Destiny thing really wasn't developed enough to be interesting, but the core is there. The Darkwind chapters are just bad. Tedious, poorly written, overly reliant on As You Know, Bob and magically induced flashbacks to dump way more info than I care about, and with characters that all tend towards the whiny.

My vague memory suggests that this isn't actually the worst of the three (and the third is substantially better - I do reread that one sometimes) but the only reason I reread this one is because I am doing A Thing and refuse to cheat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Fate.