Jennifer's Reviews > Spectre

Nov 14, 10

bookshelves: paranormal
Read from November 10 to 13, 2010

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

*shakes head* These books confuse me. I liked this one about as much as the first one, and wasn't planning on continuing the series. Yet, the author managed to sort of draw me back in with the last 50 pages or so. :- | I hate it when books end with a cliffhanger. The part of me that just has to know what happens next (even if I didn't particularly care for the book) apparently will not be denied.

I had many of the same problems with this book as I did the first book in the series, though this one did seem to be a bit better written. The action scenes can be a bit confusing at times and I had to go back and reread several of them to graps what was going on. The scenes where Zoe--in Wraith form--would enter the body of someone else, or fight something else for control of her own or someone else's body were especially confusing.

I find I'm just having a hard time connecting to or caring for any of the characters in these books. The only character even remotely interesting to me is Joe. The big reveal of the betrayal by someone close to Zoe? It just left me feeling kind of meh. I couldn't feel Zoe's pain and hurt because I haven't been able to connect to her. Her constant preoccupation with sex is wearing a little thin too.

Also, I'm not from Atlanta, I've only visited it once before, so the constant "So-and-so turned on This Street and then left onto That Other Street" did little to help me envision the scene in my mind. I felt like I should be using google maps or something in order to better visualize what was going on.

There were also some grammatical errors that bugged me, most notable the use of the phrase "hadn't of," as in "if I hadn't of left you alone, then this wouldn't have happened." (Not the exact phrase, I think, but close enough.) Granted, this is a pretty common turn of phrase in the south, I know. I live down here and have used it before in casual conversation myself, though it usually sounds more like 'Hadn't-ah' instead of two separate words. But I digress. The fact that the author took no other pains to show the Southern dialect makes them all the more glaring, and leads me to believe that it was just bad editing and/or writing.

All that being said, if I can find a cheap used copy of the third book, I'll probably read it, if only to satisfy that part of myself that hates not knowing what happens next. *face palm*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spectre.

11/10/2010 page 1
0.0% "I remember not being all that fond of the first book in this series, but since I actually own this one too, I'm going to give it a go."
11/13/2010 page 166
45.0% "Repeated use of the phrase "hadn't of" is starting to grate."
show 4 hidden updates…