Jen's Reviews > The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

Dec 26, 09

bookshelves: booksfornephewsandnieces
Read in December, 2009

"I wanted, I needed, I longed to tell a story of love and magic...I hope that you, the reader find some love and magic here," writes kate DiCamillo of her splendid little book, The Magician's Elephant. That's exactly what I found - a perfect book for reading in bed the morning after Christmas.

Orphan Peter Duchene learns from a fortuneteller that his sister is alive and that an elephant will lead him there. What follows is a fairy tale of wonder as different characters choose to hope and believe (in a rather dark world) to help make dreams come true.

I don't want to oversell it (too late!), but this is truly a lovely book written in a classic tone (the orphan isn't sarcastically sending text messages throughout the book, know what I mean?). I'll be giving this one as gifts a lot throughout the year.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Elephant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara (new)

Cara Lee Oooh. What a tantalizing review, and a fantastic title. I think this will be one of the first to go on the Kindle I got for Christmas (yay!).