Sandy Ferguson's Reviews > Guards! Guards!

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

M_50x66
Dec 26, 09

Read in January, 1992

What an awesome book!
In Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett creates a new legend in Discworld, of Sam Vines and the nightwatch of Ankh-Morpork, a new breed of heroes! All they want is a pay-rise, and a new kettle!
I learned so much in this book, how there is hope for the human condition, and how it is found in unexpected places, true heroes will emerge, warts and all, and we will cheer them on, wandering at the same time, did he just steal my drink?
I practically laughed from start to finish with this book, the characters of the watch are wonderful, vibrant and alive. There is so much life in this book, too often I would recognize people and situations from real life.
With Sam Vines, Pratchett has created a new hero, a man struggling to true to what justice should be in the world, and we see him begin to grow, as he frees himself from his own doubts. And on a personal level, I love Pratchett's vision of Ankh-Morpork, a fantasy world which is tempted by kings, but thankfully returns to bloody-minded bolshiness! if Sam Vines had been around in Minas Tirith in JRR Tolkien's the Return of King, Aragorn might have ended up looking for another job! I wonder who would have won that fight, my money would be Vimes with a trusty cleaver!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards! Guards!.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Sandy Ferguson What an awesome book!