Dan Schwent's Reviews > National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils by Ida Thompson

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: christmas-gift, nf

I made the mistake of putting two books about fossils on my wish-list and got both of them for Christmas in 2009. As I said in my review of Common Fossils of Missouri, I have been interested in fossils for over twenty-five years. It goes back to an episode of Reading Rainbow I watched when I was six and I was hooked. I immediately announced to my mom that I was going out into the backyard to dig up dinosaurs. I didn't find the Triceratops I was hankering for but I maintained a sporadic interest in fossils until my parents built their new house on a creekbank and my interest flared back to life.

This guide is full color and details all common North American Fossils, live and in color. I told my girlfriend this would be an invaluable resource when we take our fossil hunting to venues outside of Missouri. The look on her face led me to believe she's not as interested in fossils as I am...

The guys at the Audobon society know their stuff. Each entry has a detailed description and the best regions to find such fossils. Should my girlfriend and I go on a fossil hunting expedition out of state, I think we will be well equiped.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils.

message 1: by TK421 (new)

TK421 You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)"

Cool. I found what might be a piece of fossilized coral while I was walking my dog Sunday afternoon.

message 3: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)"

Cool. I found what might be a piece of fossilized coral while I was ..."

As dorky as this makes me sound, there is a streambed that fills with water only at the beginning of spring by my in-laws' house, and after it drains we go looking for fossils and such. We've pulled some pretty impressive pieces of petrified wood out, but not much in the way of fossils. The search will continue.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)"

Cool. I found what might be a piece of fossilized coral ..."

My mom and dad have a creek bed right behind their house where I do the same thing after it rains.

Here's a link to my fossil album on Facebook.

message 5: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)"

Cool. I found what might be a piece of fossi..."

That is awesome! I think I told you that I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and there are so many fossils along the sides of the road: shells, fish, coral, etc. I would love to find some of the specimans that you have.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "Dan wrote: "Gavin wrote: "You sir are a nerd. And I say that with the most kindness and admiration. (I have a minor in paleontology.)"

Cool. I found what might be a ..."

Some of them were in rocks too big to carry back home.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Cool fossil collection, Dan! I have just one that I found when I was in day camp on a trip in upstate New York when I was about 10. For fear that some bully would take it away from me, I kept it a secret until I got home. Maybe we should go fossil hunting together and your girlfriend and my husband can make a coconut creme pie.

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam When I was very small (4 or 5) I had a "game" that was basically a cardboard box with gravel and some fossils. I would excavate with a little spoon.

In college I took an archaeology course, which involved digging through a much larger area with an equally small spoon, and finding a lot less.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Miriam wrote: "When I was very small (4 or 5) I had a "game" that was basically a cardboard box with gravel and some fossils. I would excavate with a little spoon.

In college I took an archaeology course, which ..."

Funny you should mention excavation on the same day my girlfriend's mom and I spent three hours digging holes in her parents yard while playing with a metal detector. We found multiple bricks, several pieces of rebar, lots of rusted metal, and two pieces of what looks like melted glass.

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam We found a used spork. I think the prof was trying to show us that archaeology is not exciting.