Mark Sullivan's Reviews > Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: humour
Read from February 01 to 17, 2010

This was my first time reading David Sedaris, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I had read about him in The Stuff White People Like, and heard about him from other people. So then when my sister gave me this book as a gift I was excited to see what all the fuss was about.

There is some really funny stuff in here! I was actually surprised at some moments that I couldn’t even control my laughter. I’d be sitting on the bus almost convulsing as I tried to stifle myself. He has got certain observations or descriptions that just seem spot on – it is so easy to picture what he’s writing about and why he would interpret it in such a funny way.

While some of the essays are hysterical, others don’t work quite as well, so it can be hit or miss in that way. Some of them, like “The End of the Affair”, had a few funny observations but was a more tender and thoughtful reflection on his relationship. Since I had never read any of his other work, and didn’t know much about the guy himself, it was a little difficult to appreciate his point of view at first. His identity began to reveal itself as I continued reading, so it wasn’t really a big deal. However, for a first time reader of David Sedaris, it might be helpful to do something as simple as looking him up on Wikipedia first…that way you kind of get an idea of where he came from to put his stories into context.

These are fairly relatable stories, even if my life seems to have little or nothing in common with his. People run into awkward, bizarre, and even just mundane situations every day. David Sedaris has an interesting outlook on these happenings, and has a real gift for putting them into words. None of these stories (except for a few) are totally outrageous or wild…they could happen to anyone. But I don’t think just anyone could interpret them and retell them the way Sedaris does. I’ll be interested to read more of his stories!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

02/03/2010 page 42