Madeleine's Reviews > Zeitoun

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

1198255
I started reading this at work last week and, 40 pages in, had already realized that I was only going to finish the book in the privacy of my own home, where I was free to get as weepy as I wanted over the mind-boggling array of tragedies and triumphs depicted throughout Eggers's painstaking portrayal of a post-Katrina Muslim family.

This was as powerful as it was subtle, as human as its horrors were impossible to fathom (though, since I still can't shake a lot of what "People's History" threw at me, I was a little less shocked at how badly the poor and foreign-born are treated in this country). I was completely sucked in from the first page and, as I got more absorbed in both the history of the Zeitouns and the immediate impact of Katrina on their lives, I could not believe how quickly the book moved.

Eggers's storytelling is top-notch, and his ability to avoid the sentimental trappings that would tempt a lesser writer all too well is crucial to the integrity of the narrative.

The only thing that was harder than putting down this book was the inevitability of arriving at its end.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zeitoun.

03/04/2011 page 41