Jason's Reviews > Tuck Everlasting

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: fiction, childrens, fantasy
Recommended to Jason by: Clarissa
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy

In the interest of full disclosure, I never read this book as a child - I imagine that the addition of a "nostalgia-factor" could have bumped this up to five stars.

That said, I really enjoyed Tuck Everlasting. There are some stories out there that feel so simple and natural that I can't help but read them and think, "Well why didn't I think to write that?" This definitely falls in that category; Babbitt has created a story that feels truly timeless. I particularly like the juxtaposition of the perils of immortality as seen through the eyes of a child who thinks that waiting even until tomorrow can "feel like forever."

Reading this as an adult, I was hoping for a bit more from the Tuck family in regards to their stories from the past eighty years. What have they seen, what have their struggles been, what did they plan for the future? The possible exception is Jesse; being stuck as a seventeen-year-old would certainly produce the kind of loneliness and restlessness that Babbitt portrayed.

Again, I appreciate that many of these things are precisely what makes this work as a children's book - and particularly one that feels like a fairy tale - but in my mind they are the kinds of things that could have changed a great little story into something with real punch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuck Everlasting.