Mary's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Jan 11, 14

bookshelves: book-club, classics-old, political, historical-fiction, currently-reading
Read from January 11, 2014 to January 01, 1990

This is probably my favorite book of all time. I admit, after reading it once or twice, I do skip the long history chapters (basically, if it says anything about Napoleon, I start skipping to the good stuff). I've never read an edited version, except for the last two chapters once to finish in time for a book club meeting. The thing I love so much about Victor Hugo is his ability to affect my feelings by getting into MY head, instead of taking me into the head of his characters. As the reader, we observe the situation just like everyone else who is present on the scene. We don't get any more glimpses into people's thoughts and motivations than the other characters do. As a result, I am on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out WHY someone did or said something, and it ties me up completely in their motives. When bad things happen to my favorite characters, I'm not sad for them, or for the other characters who love them, but I'm sad for ME! I feel like I'm there in the story with everyone else, not knowing what will happen next (even though, obviously by now I do know what will happen). I love his writing style, and can read the book over and over again.

*Note* My personal opinion regarding Abridged vs. Unabridged: the voice changes too much in the abridged version I saw, so much that it is nowhere near as enjoyable. I suggest reading the unabridged, and asking me which pages to skip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

01/11 marked as: currently-reading