Jami's Reviews > A Corner of the Universe

A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: middle-grades
Read in January, 2010

Larrin and I are reading a couple of Newberry-winning books at the same time to see what we think of them. I started this one while she's reading Hope was Here. Liking it so far.

Update: I liked this book. It had some great themes about finding out who you are, being true to who you are, and even facing fears. As a book for middle-grade readers, it has some concepts that I think need discussing for these younger readers, and I'm hesitating slightly about having my 9-year-old read it just yet. There are a few things I'm not sure she's mature enough for yet: there are several references to Adam staring at Angel's breasts, and there's a scene where Adam runs up to Angel's room and opens the door to find her in there with her boyfriend. There isn't really a detailed description of the scene, but it does mention that she scrambles to put her shirt on. So . . . while that scene was actually important to the plot, I'm not sure it's really appropriate for an elementary school kid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of the Universe.