Ellz Readz's Reviews > The Better Part of Darkness

The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay

Dec 25, 2009

Read in December, 2009

My thoughts...This debut novel by Kelly Gay takes the reader into to an incredibly complex, fascinating, and scary world where humans are not the only creatures that walk the streets. But these are not your average beings, I'm not talking about Vampires and Werewolves, I am speaking of beings from other worlds that have come to our world to live. The incredibly strong heroine Charlie deals with being a single mom, a paranormal police officer and a set of personal problems that would make anyone think they were crazy. She has a supernatural partner, a Siren, who is sure to steal your heart. The two try to prevent a foreign drug from harming the population of the city of Atlanta.

The storyline of The Better Part of Darkness moved along at a steady pace. Although the pages are filled with elaborate details of their world, I was not overwhelmed but fully immersed. I could imagine the city and the emotions experienced by the characters. Like any good mystery, there were clues to help the reader piece together the crime and determine the culprit. There were some grey areas when trying to determine who was good and who was evil. While the current plot wrapped up nicely, Charlie is left with quite a few loose ends for the next book, The Darkest Edge of Dawn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Better Part of Darkness.