Tama Wise's Reviews > The Arrival

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

Oct 24, 07

Read in October, 2007

A truly bewildering book, but then it does a perfect job of evoking the confusion of the main character, who immigrates to a strange new place. Beautiful to look at, and worth reading a few times over. Always something new to look at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arrival.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie At a seminar I went to, Shaun Tan said one of friends told him it was the greatest book he'd ever written... with friends like that... I've 'read' it four times now, and get lost and found in different places every time.

Tama Wise I think its a great book! I like how its very easy to feel totally bewildered, like the main character, and you just wonder what the heck hes meant to do next ... those little creatures were weird!

Annie It's everything about it... from the style of the buildings to the alphabet. A true insight into an immigrant's experience.His website is great www.shauntan.net.
He staged the scenes, photographed them, and then worked them up.
PS will have an essay on it in the storylines year book.

Tama Wise Ooh I wanna read that!

Look out for the giant men with the vacuum cleaners!

Annie join us Tama... join us... www.storylines.org.nz... and you will get a copy all of your very ownsome

Tama Wise I'll have to check it out! Shouldn't I become a (hopefully) successful teen author before joining though?

Annie I'm not a successful anything... and I'm allowed! All lovers of children's & teens lit are welcome!
And you will be! You will!

Tama Wise I'll have a look :) Tis my day off you see.

Annie Ah! So, what's my excuse?
Procrastination! That's what!
There's so much work lurking, waiting to leap out at me... I'm in denial - it's a great state to be in!