Tama Wise's Reviews > The Arrival

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

Oct 24, 2007

Read in October, 2007

A truly bewildering book, but then it does a perfect job of evoking the confusion of the main character, who immigrates to a strange new place. Beautiful to look at, and worth reading a few times over. Always something new to look at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arrival.

message 1: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie At a seminar I went to, Shaun Tan said one of friends told him it was the greatest book he'd ever written... with friends like that... I've 'read' it four times now, and get lost and found in different places every time.

message 2: by Tama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tama Wise I think its a great book! I like how its very easy to feel totally bewildered, like the main character, and you just wonder what the heck hes meant to do next ... those little creatures were weird!

message 3: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie It's everything about it... from the style of the buildings to the alphabet. A true insight into an immigrant's experience.His website is great www.shauntan.net.
He staged the scenes, photographed them, and then worked them up.
PS will have an essay on it in the storylines year book.

message 4: by Tama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tama Wise Ooh I wanna read that!

Look out for the giant men with the vacuum cleaners!

message 5: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie join us Tama... join us... www.storylines.org.nz... and you will get a copy all of your very ownsome

message 6: by Tama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tama Wise I'll have to check it out! Shouldn't I become a (hopefully) successful teen author before joining though?

message 7: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie I'm not a successful anything... and I'm allowed! All lovers of children's & teens lit are welcome!
And you will be! You will!

message 8: by Tama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tama Wise I'll have a look :) Tis my day off you see.

message 9: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie Ah! So, what's my excuse?
Procrastination! That's what!
There's so much work lurking, waiting to leap out at me... I'm in denial - it's a great state to be in!