korty's Reviews > Lord of the Silver Bow

Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell

Oct 28, 07

Read in October, 2007

I don't read a lot of fantasy, but whenever I feel that unholy urge, Gemmell is the one I usually turn to. He writes really fun heroic fantasy. Although his characters are your typical tough guys and gals, he infuses them with a touching level of humanity.

This book is unusual for Gemmell in that it is based on real history, and the magic aspect is greatly downplayed. It is the first of a trilogy about the Trojan War. This one takes place before the war, and primarily follows the adventures of Aeneis. Anyone familiar with the traditional story of Troy (not just talking about the Iliad) will understand why that is a wise choice for Gemmell. While there are some predictable elements in the novel (you don't really read Gemmell for his groundbreaking plot lines), I still really enjoyed the read, and it ends in a satisfying manner that does not leave you hanging.

The other joy of reading Gemmell is that while he does have a number of books set in the same world, they are almost always stand-alone stories, so you don’t get trapped in never ending series’ and obnoxious cliffhangers that so many other fantasy writers are guilty of spinning out.

That said, I am really looking forward to reading the final two installments. Sadly, Gemmell passed away before he could finish the last book, but he did complete most of it and left a detailed outline of the rest. Fortunately, his wife Stella has finished the novel. She was involved in the research behind the series to begin with, and from what I have read of reviews of the British release, she did well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Silver Bow.