Michele's Reviews > Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both

Vengeance Is Mine by Brandy Purdy

Dec 28, 09

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Read in December, 2009

Okay, so this is Brandy Purdy's book that was originally self published and was recently picked up by Kensington and will be re-released under the title The Boleyn Wife towards the end of January 2010. Just to be clear, I read the older, self-published version.

And if you aren't too picky about your Tudor facts, this book is a funny romp through Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn's court, as told from the perspective of Jane Rochford, Anne's sister-in-law who later provided the testimony that sent Anne, her brother, and a multitude of others to the chopping block.

Jane Rochford's character is only there to provide a voice to the goings-on around her. We don't hear too much about her own thoughts and motivations (other than jealousy). But to be fair, historically we don't know much about Jane's motivations....really no primary sources there, just suppositions. In other words, there's lots of room for Ms. Purdy to have fun with it.

This book is perhaps most famous for it's campy little love scene between Henry's 4th and 5th wives, Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard. It involves a pot of honey, but I'll say no more. Actually, it wasn't explicit and took place behind bed curtains and I thought it was brave and fun of the author to throw it in there.

Ms. Purdy writes a smooth narrative, much remniscent of Philippa Gregory, so if you liked The Other Boleyn Girl, you'd probably like this book, soon to be published under the title of The Boleyn Wife.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance Is Mine.