Julie S.'s Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

** spoiler alert ** This is my second time reading this book. Even though I knew what was coming, I still got wrapped in the emotion of this book. I don't usually cry while reading, but this one gave me some tears in my eyes when I was reading it in calculus class.

So, yes, this book is powerful, and it does not shy away from anything. Collins is direct and up-front, and she crafted some wonderful characters to live in this scarily realistic world.

I found myself jotting down some quotes from the book.

When District Twelve was asked to applaud for the tributes they were about to send. "Silence. Which says we do not agree. We do not condone. All of this is wrong." ... "At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love." (24)

Katniss talking about what school was like. "It's mostly a lot of blather about what we owe the Capitol. I know there must be more than they're telling us, an actual account of what happened during the rebellion." (42)

"What do they do all day, these people in the Capitol, besides decorating their bodies and waiting for a new shipment of tributes to roll in anddie for their entertainment?" (65)

"Katniss, the girl who was on fire." (67)

"Funny, in the arena, when I poured out those berries, I was only thinking of outsmarting the Gamemakers, not how my actions would reflect on the Capitol. But the Hunger Games are their weapon and you are not supposed to be able to defeat it." (358)

Katniss talking about the three-hour recap of highlights from the Hunger Games. "There's this sort of upbeat soundtrack playing under it that makes it twice as awful because, of course, almost everyone on-screen is dead." (363)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.